I am no expert photographer, preferring to capture the moment than get a perfectly composed shot. The pictures on my blog are either taken with a compact Canon, a Panasonic Lumix FZ150 or on my phone.




Tuesday 17 September 2024

Antequera, Spain - Butterflies June 2024

On 21 June I drove up towards Antequera to walk along a track that runs along the north side of the Torcal de Antequera. The track itself is about three kilometres until it joins another track that heads up into the Tocal. However, I have never managed to walk that far because usually I see so many butterflies I run out of time and have to turn back!

I parked the car at the side of the road and spied a large bank of brambles growing at the start of the track. This proved to be quite a magnet for butterflies. The first I was was a little dark butterfly that turned out to be a Spanish Gatekeeper when I caught up with it.

As well as the numerous Small Whites there were some Long-tailed Blues and Bath Whites feeding here.

As I walked along the track I saw Southern Gatekeepers amongst the Thyme growing on the hillside. I must have seen over 50 of them in total.

A very large dark butterfly flew up from under a bush as I walked past and then disappeared, but I soon saw another, which I saw was a Striped Grayling. In total I counted over 30 of them and at one point I disturbed four of them along with some Meadow Browns and Southern Gatekeepers, all sheltering in the shade of one small bush.

Another butterfly that behaved in the same way was the Wall Brown. They would also shelter in the shade and fly up when disturbed, only to land in another shady spot. It was afternoon when I visited and I think that the butterflies would have been less active earlier in the morning.
The smaller butterflies were so active it was difficult to see what many of them where. Most of the smaller ones turned out to be Southern Blues.

There were also quite a few Southern Brown Argus there.

I saw this one Small Copper. It was interesting how big it seemed. I think it was the same size as those that I see back home, but it just seemed large in comparison to the smaller Southern Brown Argus and Southern Blues.

There were also some Lang's Short-tailed Blues to add to the confusion.

There were a few Sage Skippers in the mix, too.

It was a bit frustrating that on the few occasions that a butterfly would settle, it was soon disturbed by another one flying past! I tried to check out all of the white butterflies I saw. Most of them were Small Whites, but I saw about ten Bath Whites and a couple of what could have been Green-veined Whites. They seemed slightly smaller, very active and their upper wing markings looked correct. However, they didn't stop long enough for a photo, so I will never be sure what they were!

I think I saw about four Clouded Yellows on my walk. Maybe there were more, but I just assumed that I was seeing the same ones regularly as they patrolled up and down the track. One in particular caught my eye. It appeared to have no black markings on its wings. I spent ages trying to get a good picture of it, but it was as active as all the other butterflies. The pictures below give a bit of an idea of how beautiful it was.


I had said to the family that I would only be a couple of hours and I had already used up my allotted time on the first section of the track. I thought that while I was there I should quickly walk through the two stubble fields to a different section of the path, but these sections were really exposed and windy and there were no butterflies at all. I therefore quickly walked back along the track to the car.

On the way back it was difficult not to be distracted by the butterflies and one of the blue butterflies seemed particularly fresh and colourful. It kindly stopped on a grass stem in the middle of the track for some time and I managed to get a picture. It was then I realised that this was an Adonis Blue. My first definite sighting and my fist picture of an Adonis Blue!! It hung around for a while and allowed me to take several pictures. Sadly, never with its wings open, but it was a real thrill.

Eventually I had to tear myself away, but I was very happy to have seen it, the unusual Clouded Yellow and so many striped Graylings.

2 comments:

  1. What varied specimens you found here, and this was Spain! I did some further reading on 'Biogeographic realms' and found that the 'Old World' and 'New World' designations are just one way to understand these regions. There's another classification method called 'Biogeographic regions', that's specific to the region, here's the link:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogeographic_realm
    I found it to be really interesting as it may explain the reason some species are only found in certain regions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely selection. I did see some of these in Lesvos last week.

    ReplyDelete

Followers