I am no expert photographer, preferring to capture the moment than get a perfectly composed shot. The pictures on my blog are either taken with a compact Canon, a Panasonic Lumix FZ150 or on my phone.




Saturday 27 August 2022

Sierra Nevada continued

There is a meadow is just off the road at about 2,000 metres above sea level that I always visit when I go to the Sierra Nevada. It has a little stream running through it, which I expect is quite ferocious during the snow melt, but is mostly dry in the summer months. It is such an amazing spot, as there are so many butterflies in quite a small area. Again, the butterflies I saw this June were quite different from what I am used to seeing in July. There were far fewer, but they were lovely nonetheless.


Almost immediately a beautiful Knapweed Fritillary landed on a shrub in front of me. I think there must have been about ten of them in this area.


A few Iberian Scarce Swallowtails kept flying across the meadow and there must have been more than 40 Clouded Yellows.


All along the dried up stream bed there were little Lorquin’s Blues.


Despite their size they were quite aggressive, chasing off any other butterflies that dared to land too close! Here is one about to attack a Common Blue!


I normally see a lot of Marsh Fritillaries at this spot, but this year I only saw one. I also saw eight or ten Small Heaths. These had me a bit confused at first as some of them appeared to have some metallic scales on their wings.


The Queen of Spain Fritillaries here were a lot fresher than those higher up the mountains.


I was pleased to see some Common Blues, Polyommatus icarus, here. In most of Southern Spain they are replaced by the identical-looking Southern Blue, Polyommatus celina, but the Common Blue occurs in the Sierra Nevada, having been left behind as the climate warmed after the last Ice Age.


I spotted another little butterfly that I was surprised to see was a Green Hairstreak. I think I saw three different individuals. I have never seen these in the Sierra Nevada before and expected that they would occur earlier in the year.


Making up the numbers were Small Whites, Painted Ladies and Meadow Browns.


There were some Western Dappled Whites amongst them.


 I also saw a Southern Marbled Skipper.


And I had a lovely view of what I thought was a Spotted Fritillary. It wasn’t until I checked my pictures back home that I realised it was a Lesser Spotted Fritillary, Melitaea trivia, – a species I hadn’t seen before.


In each of my three previous visits to the Sierra Nevada, always in July, I have seen over 40 species of butterflies. This year, with it being earlier in the year I saw 23 species. I didn’t feel disappointed in the slightest. It would have been nice to have seen some of the rarer species higher up the mountains, but this delightful meadow was so lovely and it made up for the lack of variety I had seen earlier in the day.

6 comments:

  1. I love the thought of traveling to see butterflies. I know birders do that for birds. It was lovely to see the ones you photographed. This time of year seems easier to photograph butterflies, it is as though they are desperate for what they get from the flowers and they will let me get closer. You mentioned the common blues being aggressive. I remember one year the sapsuckers were making holes in the bark of my wild apple trees for the sap. Well the butterflies and bees like the sap too. The butterflies would sit drinking the nectar and if a bee came near it would bat the bee with its wing. That surprised me. So glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really look forward to our holidays and usually check what butterflies occur where we are planning holidays!! We recently ordered a campervan an we hope to visit much of Europe over the next few years. Well, from 2024 onwards, once the van is built!!
      I think butterflies are much tougher than they look!!

      Delete
  2. Hello Nick, your holiday in the Siera Nevada was as always, an exciting adventure. You found so many lovely butterflies, and I have only seen four of them, and not recently. It was a poor year for butterflies where I live. I have got to plant more flowers that they like, and yet not one off the ones you found were on any flowers. I don't understand why they find that area so attractive to them., but am glad you found it, and can share your finds. They are all beautiful butterflies and lovely photos.I enjoyed seeing them.

    Thanks for your visit Nick. It's always nice to see a comment from you.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonjia. I must put up some pictures of the lovely plants found in the Sierra Nevada. There are some amazing little prostrate plants found there.

      Delete
  3. Preciosas fotos Nick. Estas hermosas mariposas también se pueden ver aquí en Asturias. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Lola. Espero visitar Asturias algún día.

      Delete

Followers